This is a meme that’s hosted every Tuesday by The Broke and the Bookish and the theme for this week is the top ten things that will instantly make me want to read a book.
I admit there’s a few this that will make me want to read a books, some of them may be more flaky than others because at the end of the day I have to admit I’m a bit of a book whore and real read just about anything.
- It’s free and sounds even mildly interesting. If you’ve never heard of BookBub before I’d recommend checking it out. Basically you can subscribe to genres or authors and get notified if any of their books are on sale or free on a number of sites like Amazon or iBooks for example. Very addicting for someone like me!
- Recommendations of course. Do me a favour and don’t recommend a book to me, it’s likely it will end up going on my TBR! I’ve had friends recommend several books and they’ve all ended up on my list.
- Book reviews by fellow bloggers. Let’s be honest who isn’t swayed by the opinions of our fellow bloggers! So yes after reading some of your reviews books often end up on my list that way.
- Research topics. Every now and then I get a bit obsessive over a topic and decide to research a few books and pick one to read. Sometimes they may be something related to work, say building teams, or it might be something along the lines of decluttering the home.
- Browsing the library. Sometimes just wandering through the library, looking at a few pretty books covers, I might just pick something up. I know, don’t judge a book by its cover, but sometimes I just can’t help it.
- Because I want to finish a series. Even if it’s not a great series I sometimes jusd can’t help myself and have to finish it anyway because I don’t like leaving things unfinished.
- Because I like the author. Sometimes just liking an author is reason enough to add ALL their books to my TBR. I know, no one can say I have commitment issues!
- Genres, maybe. I almost didn’t put this on here because genre isn’t a huge motivator for me to read a book, but in saying that I do have a soft spot for fantasy, sci-fi and paranormal stories, so if a book sounds even remotely interesting it’ll likely get added to my TBR.
- Book sales are amazing! Quite often I can find a number of gems at book sales. The local thrift shop once had a 50c book sale and I picked up a number of titles I’d never heard of before, and some that I had. So yes I find those kinds of book sales almost too good to be true. Similar with sites like the Book Depository, when they do a sale you can pick up some previously unheard of books, which is a great way to find new books.
- From authors themselves. Every now and then authors will provide an ARC in exchange for an honest review. It’s great for them to get exposure through individual bloggers’ sites and also great for me as it gives me new reading material!
So that’s it for me, the reasons why a book may end up on my reading list!
What did you have on your Top Ten list this week?