5:35pm Rwanda time

The hotel last night was lovely. A nice resort style hotel with a pool and the beach of the lake not far beyond that. Dinner last night was pretty good, buffet style. I was good this time (heh, this time!) and only had one small plate of food and a small bit of dessert.

This morning I had the opportunity to sleep in and have some free time. So I had a late breakfast – compared to other mornings anyway – and then went for a bit of a walk, bought a couple of souvenirs and then laid on a banana lounge on the beach and read my book. It started to rain, which didn’t really bother me until it really set in and the temperature dropped. Then I went back to the room, popped on the TV and laid down for a bit.

The group had lunch at the hotel, it wasn’t a buffet though so we had to order off the menu. The only issue with that is they work on “Africa time” which means, really slowly! So even though we told them we had to leave by 2pm and ordered our lunch about 12:40pm, it didn’t arrive until nearly 2pm. Which means I didn’t get my banana split dessert because there wasn’t enough time!

The drive to the Mountain Gorilla View Lodge was relatively short compared to other trips. It only took about 2 hours. The lodge is quite pretty, the rooms are very spacious and set quite far away from each other.

It’s cold up here though, and rainy.

We bumped into some Kiwi’s we saw at the last lodge a couple of days ago, they were leaving as we were arriving, and they saw the gorillas today. They said it rained a lot, there was hail and it was really cold which I think we might be in for tomorrow. They suggested wearing a lot of warm layered clothing. It might be warm walking there but they said you’d need it while you’re actually there.

Anyway, I had a shower in my lodge, in their funny looking open shower, it was so wonderfully hot. The only thing that concerns me about the lodge is the massive gap under the door. I sprayed feet there which may help stop some of the crawling insects, but I might put a towel down as well, just in case.

One of the staff came to light the fire as well which should hopefully keep the mozzies and bay, and keep things warm during the night. One thing I have noticed is that Australians build better fires. The staff that have built the fire here and at the last lodge cram as much wood as possible into the fireplace and either nearly snuff it out before it gets started or it rages for half an hour before dying. So each time I’ve had to rearrange and rebuild it to help keep it going.


| Follow me |  Twitter | Instagram | YouTube |